10/15/10

Savannah to La Saracina

Last summer I had the privilege of getting to know a wonderful family in Savannah. Mary Lee Stevens, below with husband Henry & their two sons, had commissioned me to do a watercolor. During one of our conversations, she mentioned that she had been following The Lisa Porter Collection.The Stevens Family 
We talked about our travels & she went on to reminisce about an elegant country home in the heart of Tuscany where they had stayed, and that I would just love it! Now, in the short amount of time that I have known Mary Lee, I can absolutely tell you that she is as warm & friendly as they get & she’s a Southern lady with a lot of style! I simply had to check it out!
I know you all love to travel so pack your bags & follow me to
click to visit
It doesn’t get any better than this, is the inevitable thought when traveling in southern Tuscany.
 On the approach, at the crest of the dramatic cypress-lined drive, visitors are rewarded with a 360-degree view of the soft, green hills dotted with villages.
Adding to this incredible scenery, a luxurious and very private hideaway.
A 100-year-old farmhouse just outside of Pienza.
A cozy farmstead-inn in a private setting, La Saracina has been beautifully restored into an elegant country home in the heart of Tuscany.
Amongst the vines and olive trees, near an ancient almond tree, guests are greeted by a pergola covered in roses and wisteria.
Gradually the wanderer becomes aware of the fragrances of an almost-forgotten past...

The six suites, all beautifully appointed and named after local vineyards, open on to a Mediterranean garden of lavender and rosemary.

The fabrics and their colors have been carefully chosen,

as have the local handicrafts and antiques.

As night gently gives way to day guests are slowly awakened by the sweet aroma of fresh-baked bread & jams,

and the distant ringing of the sheep bells.

Gourmet meals are lovingly prepared in traditional wood-burning ovens.

Going down a little path you will find the sheltered tennis court which has a wonderful view of the valley.


In the silence of the valley, the echo of voices from the age-old towns perched on the hills invites you to go and explore.

The land of old rustic traditions...

is ready to reveal it’s an unspoiled charm to those who want to experience everlasting enchantment.

On behalf of my readers & myself, I would like to say thank you, Mary Lee, for sharing this wonderful gem!
All photos compliments of La Saracina.

Here's what readers had to say...
Chic Coles (Cole Design) said...
Wow! It really does not get more beautiful than that. I would love to go to Tuscany and stay at La Saracina and waking up to that view...count me in!
Thanks for sharing about this amazing place!
Have a great weekend,
Melissa
Lipstick said...
Wow! Those pictures are absolutely beautiful....so dreamy! I feel relaxed just by looking at them. Thank you for sharing!
Juju said...
Gorgeous pictures!
sophie dahy designs said...
What an absolutely breathtaking place! We love Italy and have talked about going back and staying awhile. La Saracina may have to be on the list!
old south blogger said...
Thank you, Lisa, for your kind words and reminding me of the beautiful memories!
The Consummate Hostess said...
How beautiful! I was in Tuscany last summer and the pictures you posted take me back. Thanks for sharing!
Alicia said...
Molto bene...& this does not begin to cover the words I could express.
Pastoral, peaceful, perfection.
Ironically I fly to Savannah in 3 weeks to reunite with Hailey & Grant for a few weeks. We're staying in Savannah a bit for my birthday, then up to their mom's in Charleston.
Wishing you a lovely week.
Victoria@WhimsybyVictoria said...
A breathtaking post! I am new to your blog and now a follower. Just beautiful!
Hugs to you,
~Victoria~
Renae said...
This is so very lovely...I have never been but would like to. I can imagine riding my bicycle around this beautiful countryside.
Blessings...
xo
GrannySmithGreen said...
Oh, to be there now...ahhhh! I'm relaxing already. When do we go, really? I'm so there.
Millie said...
Talking about living La Dolce Vita Lisa! A glass of icy cold Prosecco & some fresh ripe peaches, all enjoyed on the terrace of La Saracina - couldn't get much better really. Big sigh.
Millie ^_^
Renae said...
Lisa,
I am so loving your story on the right side of your blog on your first trip to NY at 16. How much fun for you and the memory made of purchasing the same swimsuit as Jackie O! Also your son Collier is a doll, and I know you are a proud Mama!
Blessings...
xo
...from the original post July 2009.