Mr. Charming

Allow me to introduce
the charming
Lee Bailey.
I had the pleasure of spending some time
with this gentleman many years ago,
when I coordinated a book signing
for him at Williams-Sonoma.
I am not exaggerating when I tell you
the ladies were
swooning!
In his book
Southern Food and
Plantation Houses,
he slows the pace and in no time
you find yourself on a porch
beneath moss-hung live oaks, 
enjoying berry sherbet on a balmy
southern afternoon.

Lee Bailey takes us to
Natchez, Mississippi,
the home of his favorite Aunt Freddie.
It is also where Mr. Bailey pays tribute
to the memory of a small band
of purposeful ladies who began the
Natchez Pilgrimage almost a half century ago.
He enlisted the help of the
Pilgrimage Garden Club,
which has been organizing tours of these homes
since 1932.

The result is a glorious celebration
of Natchez and it’s long tradition of great
American cooking!

A festive supper at
Twin Oaks.
Elegant & unpretentious from 1810
& listed in the National Register of
Historic Places.

Pickled okra & butter beans at
Hope Farm.
It’s modest & austere beginnings
proudly displayed.
It was a farm, not a mansion,
and therein lies it’s charm!

Pie on the back screened gallery
built in 1775.

Or enjoy peach & meringue shortcake
and breathtaking views of gardens 
at Dunleith,
the quintessential southern mansion,
as seen through the branches of the
great oaks planted over a century ago.
Pineapple & Lemon Mousse
would be perfect! 


You would most likely find me at
Lansdowne.
Built in 1852,
a country house in the sense that it is
situated in splendid isolation outside of
the city limits.
Approaching it through dense, cool trees,
I would enjoy a relaxing supper on the patio
with
Clara Nell Adams
and her fabulous white chocolate cake.
If this doesn’t have you humming
Dixie, I don’t know what will.
Enjoy!

12 comments:

A Gift Wrapped Life said...

I can see all the ladies swooning under that Southern-gentleman charm! Sounds like a wonderful book, I shall look for it. Something needs to make me bake pies again.

Diann said...

You've reminded me of my favorite gardening book..Lee Bailey's Country Flowers. I haven't looked at it in years. I don't how old it is..it seems like I've had it forever.I will pull it off the shelf tonight and enjoy it again. He tells charming stories throughout. I have a recipe of his, tangerine mousse, from a very old Cuisine magazine that I make at least 2 or 3 times a year. I haven't heard his name in a long time and it was nice to see your post!

My Notting Hill said...

Pineapple and lemon mousse - that sounds seriously good! Also love the cute orange royal typewriter in the middle column.

Renae said...

What a lovely book...and gorgeous man! The treats all look so yummy too..
Blessings...

Styling by Coty Farquhar said...

Hi Lisa,

It's a very small world. I worked with Lee Bailey when he came to Australia in the 80's and he did some stories for Australian Vogue Entertaining Guide. I was of course on the editorial team and spent many hours running around town collecting props for him and being on the photo shoots for Vogue back then. His photographer back then was Joshua Green from memory, another talented American.

Lee is charming and I have always loved his work, his books and his wonderful styling in amazing old established homes around the US.

xxx Coty

Alicia said...

I cherish Lee's book. "...Long Weekends". "...Country Desserts": they all exude the charm & grace he's famous for. When my belovable Hailey (goddaughter extraordinaire) was only 4 she'd pull out his books just to look at the phots because "they just make me happy inside."
Could not phrase it better myself.
Thank you Lisa for the reminder. I think its time to make Hummingbird Cake.

Montee said...

You had me with those butterbeans! I will be leaving for Mississippi in a couple of weeks. I will be staying in Jackson most of the summer. I can't wait to get there, enjoy the friendly people and the more laid back atmosphere. I am a South Carolinian and I miss those things. In the summers when I go back, I take it(The South) all in while I can.

pve design said...

I'd quite like to fall into a "swoon!"
Pour me some good ole southern charm and some Lee Bailey!
pve

Millie said...

I'm sure it was Mr. Bailey who put the 'C' in charming - I've always loved his work Lisa.
Millie ^_^

Maria Killam said...

Makes me want to find a patio to sit on! Wonderful images you've shown!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Lisa, those are beautiful pics! Oh, I just love the charm of Southern plantations. Looks like a wonderful book.

James Oh said...

Thanks for your kind reminder of the above book