The Pink Lady

In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month
I thought I would take you to one of my all time favorite places. The color alone makes this the perfect place to spend an afternoon with girlfriends or a weekend with someone special.
summer afternoon
Overlooking the Pacific since 1926, La Valencia is a charming California boutique hotel situated in the picturesque beachfront town of La Jolla. A definitive seaside resort community, La Jolla has some of the most beautiful cliffside neighborhoods in America.
lavelenciahotels3-25Jan2007024759156625
This is the quintessential hotel of La Jolla. Known as the “Jewel of La Jolla,” the beautiful 1920’s Spanish-style 11-story pink hotel is situated atop La Jolla Cove.  Just steps from miles of stunning coastline, La Valencia is a perfect blend of location and recreation.
garden
The hotel, often called “The Pink Lady”, has Mediterranean inspired architecture and décor, including beautiful courtyards, hand painted murals and exquisite Spanish mosaics that evoke old-world charm.
lobby
La Sala, the "Living Room" of the La Valencia, offers a relaxed atmosphere and sweeping views of the Pacific. Located just off the main lobby of the hotel, La Sala features overstuffed couches and chairs, Spanish Mosaics, and a picture window overlooking the La Jolla cove.
pool
Offering a tradition of elegance and unparallel service, it is also known for it’s perfectly appointed accommodations.
lv2
The 113 luxury guest rooms, suites and Ocean Villas are decorated using warm tropical hues.
 suite
Luxurious textiles, custom furnishings and stunning views of the Pacific ocean exude classic California style.
suite 2
The hotel is also known for its fine and casual dining.  My favorite place for desert or a glass of wine with old friends is out on the ocean view terrace.
La_Valencia_Hotel_42249_1_08102006_0708149062_500 
While the impressive ocean views and tradition of outstanding service make La Valencia's restaurants unique, the cuisine is what sets them apart.
terrace
The Mediterranean Room offers a "California Fresh" menu, with an emphasis on local seafood as well as fresh seasonal produce.
lv4
In addition to the a la carte menu, a 5-course "tasting" menu is available, paired with wines hand selected by the sommelier.
 lv3
The Sky Room wine list features over 1,000 wines and has consistently received the honor "Best of Award of Excellence" by the Wine Spectator.
sky room
The restaurant features Le Verre de Vin, a state of the art preservation system that ensures that each glass of wine tastes as fresh as the moment it was opened, and allows the sommelier to offer exceptional wines by the glass.
 lv5 
La Valencia's restaurants deliver! Receiving accolades on both the local and national level, La Valencia is a dining destination for both vacationing travelers and local La Jolla residents.
lv7
La Valencia's idyllic setting, combined with the sun's healing rays, the rhythm of the ocean waves, and the scented breeze, evokes a sense of serenity and well being at the Spa.
 lv8
It’s also ideal for lovers of the outdoors. Spend your day sunning poolside, or on the white sandy beaches.
9
Kayak the calm waters of La Jolla Cove, or sign yourself up for surfing lessons with Surf Diva!
flash_slideshow_06
Surf Diva Surf School, has enjoyed its reputation as the world's #1 surf school for women for over 12 years!
11 ft waves
My cousin’s daughter, Tori, has a standing summer job at Surf Diva where they even provide students with snacks between sets!
Corporate_Clinic
La Jolla also offers world-class museums, galleries, and boutiques. Upscale shops line the streets of La Jolla’s downtown area, all within walking distance to La Valencia.
14 
And not to forget the guys, they might enjoy 18 holes at the world-famous Torrey Pines Golf Course! Championship golf with jaw-dropping views of the Pacific Ocean, it’s the site of the Buick Invitational each year and the 2008 U.S. Open.
South%20No3
Enjoy your stay!
patio
la-valencia-logo
historic-hotelspreferred-hotels

If you go....
Be sure to visit a couple more of our favorites.
Brockton Villa for breakfast!
The Brockton Villa is a charming La Jolla beach cottage, circa 1894, which was converted into a restaurant in 1990.
2254199194_92c2cc3a2c
You have to try the thick-cut-orange-flavored-soufflé-like version of French toast that they dubbed "Coast Toast."
coasttoast
And for spectacular sandwiches & homemade cookies to go, it’s always the Cheese Shop!  The shop’s long history in La Jolla Shores has seen many customers grow from kids into parents.
shop
P.S. Call your order in to beat the lunch crowd.

16 comments:

Love Where You Live said...

Just the other day I was musing about pink at the beach. I bought this sofa at a closeout a few years ago. It had been upholstered in a high-end pink silk. I recovered it in Sunbrella -- a brown with very thin white embroidered stripes. My Aussie, since he's allowed on the sofa, has managed to make the thin lines a bit fuzzy. Oh well. But, I do sometimes wonder about pink, even though the silk didn't suit our informal style -- and small beach cottage. Maybe I'll get to visit -- again someday -- La Jolla. cheers -s

Chic Coles (Cole Design) said...

These are such beautiful images. Thank you for taking us through La Jolla and the views of the hotel overlooking the water. We went to San Diego a few years ago and stayed in gorgeous hotels but we never stayed in La Jolla...hopefully next time! I love the architecture of the buildings and the fun color! Hope you are having a great weekend!

Jo said...

The tour was lovely ~ thank you. I'm going now to book my flight and pack my bags!

Jo

Renae said...

I love love love La Jolla! I must say I have not been to La Valencia...let's get that convertible and take a spin right on down there. Ohhh, could we have some fun! And, what a fab job your cousin's daughter has...the rough life to be sure. Brockton's villa's Coast Toast looks so very yummy!

Girls weekend? When do we go?

xoxo

Cote de Texas said...

Ben and I adore this hotel! we love to go there for drinks when in La Jolla - just wonderful. and the views!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Styling By Coty Farquhar said...

This is such a gorgeous place!!

Lisa you have the most exquisite taste in everything.

Wishing you a Happy week,
xxCoty

Francine Gardner said...

As I am sitting miserable with the worst cold in my cold living room, what i would not do to be a guest in one of the luxury suite overlooking the ocean, I would even be willing to stay in the standard room....let me dream... beautiful hotel. my son goes to School in La and I will try to spend a week end there.

Maria Killam said...

The outdoor patio is the best! Wow I wish I was there right now!

Maya said...

La Jolla is awesome. I loved it when I was there..., didn't stay at La Valencia though.

GrannySmithGreen said...

I'm stuck on the salad! Can you even imagine a prettier plate of greens--and pinks and yellows? Just beautiful, Lisa. I always know that I can come here to find something lovely!

Blog Author(s) said...

I have been there and had drinks in that very bar. I am back in Michigan just a year after 11 in San Diego. I am missing it mightily. Thank you for your post today.

Anne Marie said...

a far cry from the farm.........

beautiful to think of now that it's a high of 45* :)

Kathy said...

Hi Lisa ....just found your lovely blog and enjoyed finding my way around here...such fun! I'll be keeping my eye on you and seeing what your up to , xoxo~Kathy @ Sweet Up-North Mornings... Stop in anytime, love to have you visit!...

Dumbwit Tellher said...

You brightened my day. We own a home in San Diego & when my brother got married, we booked in a suite at this incredible hotel. So..so fun to see the photos. I can't wait to move back, I just hope we can make it happen by this time next fall.

And then..I too want to be a surfing diva!
Great post Lisa ~

Millie said...

I'm a La Jolla fan too Lisa. My old Company had their global HQ just down the road in Temecula, so on my trips over I came to know that area well & think it's just the best.

Thank you for your fun messages over @ The Hedge this week. I'm thrilled to hear that your & your gorgeous girl are talking about making the trip Down Under. And yes you absolutely must join Coty & myself for a champers. However I do have to break the news to you that we do live in different States & we are separated by a 14hr. road trip!!! Or a 2 hr. flight & another couple of hrs. on the road - a much better option. Let's make plans my friend!
Millie ^_^

Ramona said...

Thank you for this gorgeous post. I was born in La Jolla and raised in San Diego...it was the best place to grow up in the 70's. My Father was an Oceanographer at Scripps in La Jolla...so many memories and you have given this gorgeous "jewell" a wonderful nod...well done.

Smiles ~ Ramona